There are literally hundreds (if not thousands by now) of books about how to be a winning Texas holdem poker player. Learning how to win Texas holdem poker takes practice, experience and patience.
1. The number one thing most people can do to instantly improve their game is play fewer hands.
You should strive to be one of the tightest players in every Texas holdem game you play in. You don’t have to be the tightest player at the table, but always one of the two or three tightest.
The simple fact is that the player who starts with the best hand wins more hands than the player who does not start with the best hand.
2. Always pay attention to the other players at the table and the action, even on hands you are not involved in. Becoming a winning Texas holdem player requires you to gather as much information as possible and to use this information better than most of your opponents.
The good news is that by just paying attention at all times you are doing better than most players.
3. Start playing at the lowest stakes available and move up as your game improves.
By starting at a low level your opponents aren’t as good as you will find at the higher levels and your mistakes don’t cost as much when you make them.
4. Being a winning poker player is not about who wins the most hands, but about who wins the most money.
5. Always remember that Texas holdem is one long poker game. Every hand is just a small part of one lifelong playing session. Even the best poker players do not win every time they play. They just win more often than not. In the short term anything can happen, but as the short term becomes the long term, the best hands will hold up as often as they are supposed to and by always making the best possible decision the best poker players will win the most money.